The Little Brown Church - Donate Here!
The Little Brown Church, drawing by Quince Galloway
The First Presbyterian Church, dedicated in April 1867, was always known as the Little Brown Church to its members. The church stood on Clarke Street near West Joaquin. In 1880, a Sunday school annex was added to the church. The sanctuary of the church was moved in 1935, then demolished in the 1960s, but the Sunday school addition remained on Clarke and was used as a missionary school. When the Clarke Street lot was sold, the Historical Society acquired the building (the Sunday school wing that was the only remaining part of the Little Brown Church) and moved it to its present location behind the Casa Peralta at 384 West Estudillo Avenue.
The Little Brown Church needs many preservation and restoration projects. The San Leandro Questers has donated $2,000 to kick-start our campaign to fund the restoration of the oldest church building still standing in San Leandro. Will you help us save this San Leandro treasure? The San Leandro Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and donations are tax deductible.
Send a check to:
San Leandro Historical Society
P. O. Box 1046
San Leandro, California 94577
or click here to donate by credit card: