Historical Photograph of the Month
San Leandro Dahlia Society members Pete Harter, Charles Garrity, Dave Webb, Stanley O’Conner, Dick Trotter, Carl Lundvall, Loren Dowell, Eleanor Bolesworth, and Robert Ammerman admire blooms at the Lakeside Park Trial Garden in Oakland, 1953. (Photo by Harold Winder of the San Leandro Times, from the San Leandro Dahlia Society website: www.sanleandrodahliasociety.org). The San Leandro Dahlia Society was organized by Dr. Luther Michael in 1925. Dahlias were named the official San Leandro flower in 1927. The San Leandro Dahlia Society is still active, and this year's Dahlia Show at the San Leandro Main Library takes place August 19 and 20.